Rural America is one of the fastest-growing population segments in the U.S.
- More than 71% of rural counties gained population
- Migration of urban dwellers accounted for most of this increase
- Fewer rural residents left for cities
Suburban professionals seeking the simplicity of a country lifestyle
- Hobby farmers or property owners who buy land (3+ acres)
- Metro dwellers who purchase land in the country, but do not aspire to operate a farm
- Metro families with children who seek a better life in the country
Boomers looking for a dream home in the country
- An affluent group that has built equity in their existing homes and is looking toward retirement. They want – and have the means to build – their dream homes.
Source: U.S. Census Bureau, 2003